Ashwagandha is a prominent herb in Indian Ayurveda that has been used for centuries to support good health. More recently, extracts of the herb have shown significant benefit in many areas including stress management, improved sleep, and mental sharpness. Two studies involving exercise and Ashwagandha were noteworthy.
- VO2 max, a measurement of oxygen capacity and ability to exercise, increased over three times as much in those taking the KSM-66 Ashwagandha in athletic adults. Quality of life also improved.
A second 8-week study involving young men looked at muscle strength and size, body fat and testosterone when taking 300 mg of Ashwagndha twice daily.
- Muscle strength the upper body was 70% greater in the Ashwagandha group versus the placebo group. Lower body strength improved by 48% in those supplementing.
- Muscle size increased in the Ashwagandha group in the following areas:
Arms – 67% Thighs – 40% Chest – 235%
- Body fat reduced 228% more in the Ashwagandha group
- Testosterone increased 283% more in the supplementation group