Covid-19 has produced many “long-haul” symptoms, such as fatigue, brain fog, shortness of breath and others. Recently hair loss was found to be another post-Covid symptom. One study found that 25% of those who recovered from Covid-19 experienced hair loss. It typically occurs 1-3 months after recovery and can last for 6 months.
Hairs cycle through three stages of growth. Ideally, 85-90% of hairs are in the active growth phase while only 10% are shedding.
- Anagen – Active growth
- Catagen – Stops growing
- Telogen – Hair Loss. Researchers have found that the Inflammatory cytokine storm associated with Covid-19 triggers the telogen stage.
Natural Molecules That Support Hair Growth Phase
- Anagain Nuis a newly available extract from an organically grown pea shoot that supports hair growth cycle balance. In a clinical trial, people who supplemented with 100 mg of Anagain Nu saw a 34% reduction in hair loss and better hair density in as soon as one month.
- Grape seed extractwas found to promote proliferation of hair follicles and plays a role in supporting the transition from telogen phase to anagen phase.
- Green tea extractsupports hair regrowth, possibly by maintaining the viability of special cells in the hair follicle.
- Corriander seed oilpromotes increased hair density and thickness.
- Black currant oilalso supports collagen synthesis and has been clinically shown to support healthy hair by significantly improving hair thickness and density.
- Collagen Peptides plus Silicon supports the hair follicles and encourages hair growth.
- Keratin is a protein found in healthy hair, skin, and nails. Lack of keratin leads to weak hair.
Speak to a Sundrops nutritionist for more information on the molecules discussed.
*These statements have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, cure, treat, or prevent any disease. Always consult with your doctor first before starting any new supplements.