The body has several methods to break down, repair and replace non-functioning cells. This is an area of research that has generated significant interest because of its broad impact on different health functions.
Autophagy is an internal process that recycles and repairs damaged cells throughout the body. Mitophagy is when this process is utilized to repair the energy producing parts of cells in the body and brain called Mitochondria. Another pathway increases the formation of new Mitochondria through a function called biogenesis. Scientists have discovered two exciting molecules that are able to activate healthy Mitophagy and mitochondrial biogenesis. Both Urolithin A and Benfotaimine have demonstrated this capability.
Urolithin A is a molecule that can be formed by bacteria in the digestive tract from foods rich in ellagic acid such as pomegranates. Researchers have found changes in bacteria, diet, or normal aging interrupt this process. It is now available as a preformed supplemental molecule successfully studied at 500 to 1000mg per day.
The Mitophagy process is activated by Urolithin A. It is critically important in increased mitochondrial function and energy formation.
Additional areas of function identified in research:
- Brain: neuroprotection and reduced protein aggregates
- Muscle Strength, Endurance, and Maintenance
- Cardio: energy and healthy lipids
- Joint: cartilage maintenance
- Immunity: reduction of inflammatory cytokines and neuroinflammation
- GI Tract: barrier integrity
- Liver/Pancreas: triglyceride reduction and reduced glucose intolerance
- Increased: kidney tubular survival
Benfotiamine is a fat soluble form of thiamine (vitamin B1). It is essential for brain health, glucose metabolism and managing inflammation. It has the ability to deliver vitamin B1 into cells.
Benfotiamine reduces a disruptive protein that inhibits mitophagy and the ability to renew mitochondria to their original energy. It also promotes DNA copying in mitochondria that causes formation of new mitochondria.
Benfotiame research also shows support for the following functions:
- Activates the NRF2 gene that initiates formation of the antioxidants produced by the body.
- Immunity: inhibits the expression of the enzymes COX2 and 5-LOX that promote inflammation.
- Protects against DNA damage from excess sugars and starches that can lead to early cell death.
- Promotes vascular health as well as the health of the eyes, kidneys and neurons.
- Inhibits the activity of NF-kB which is involved in the immune system, inflammation and the nervous system.
References available upon request. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Research, nutritional information and products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult your physician before initiating any new dietary or supplement program.