Winter has traditionally been the season for an increase in respiratory viruses, but doctors are reporting that this season with many more children than usual ending up in the Emergency Room or hospitalized, RSV, flu, Covid and other respiratory viruses causing cold-like symptoms are to blame. Experts believe that masking, virtual learning, and social distancing have led to many young children being exposed to these microbes for the first time and therefor they lack immunity from prior infections. The good news is that there is support for children’s immunity.
- Multivitamin– A good multivitamin will contain immune boosting vitamins such as zinc, A, E, and B6.
- Vitamin D plays an essential role in the immune system of both children and adults.
- Vitamin C has antioxidant and immune support properties.
- Elderberry– Studies report that elderberry may prevent colds and flu viruses and reduce symptom time and severity.
- Probiotics improved immune function including the activity of natural killer cells. They also reduced the risk of respiratory tract infections and reduced the length and severity (Korean J Fam Med 2013).
- Sleep is necessary for a healthy immune system. Children need 8-16 hours of sleep depending on their age while adults should target 8 hours.
- Healthy diet is a vital part of immune health. Reduce processed foods and snacks and increase fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Hydration, plenty of water and low or non-sugar drinks
- Activity for an hour a day. This could be playing outside, riding a bike, or exercise.
- Hygiene practices play a role also. Wash hands, including the backs and wrists and cover a cough or sneeze with forearms, a tissue or fabric.
are also being exposed to respiratory viruses at a high rate, sometimes from the children in their life. The same recommendations above apply for adults with just a few modifications.
Nasal Providone Iodine has shown to kill influenza viruses 99.5 to 100 percent within 45 seconds. For use every 8 hours.
The following molecules can be added if an adult feels something coming on.
Pelargonium sidoides extract Eps 7630® from geranium was clinically proven in adults and children to reduce symptom by 2-3 times and lessen duration. Twenty clinical trials have shown anti-viral activity.
Oregano extract containing the polyphenol carvacrol showed phagocyte immune cell increase and anti-viral/bacterial activity (Georgetown University Medical Center 2001).
Olive Leaf flavonoid oleuropein has anti-viral patents. Significant Th1 immune response was found in murine study. Researchers found anti-bacterial activity with Klebsiella, E coli, H pylori and Staph. (scipharm2010).
Nutrients. 2020 Korean J. Fam. Med 2013
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Research, nutritional information and products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult your physician before initiating any new dietary or supplement program.